Friday, January 28, 2011

Syrupy Goodness...

Ok let's be honest, I am not one of those sappy mothers who cannot possibly put into words the joy and reward of being a mom. "Mother of the Year"...probably not! Not to say that I don't try...but unlike some, I always seem to get caught-up in logistics and never quite find that peaceful serenity that so many drone on and on about. My peace and serenity is found when the babysitter is on time or the in-laws have agreed to watch the girls for the weekend. My peace is sitting in a quite coffee shop with a cup of tea and a people magazine. Very rarely do I pair "peace and serenity" with "Lucy and Greta". (Like I said, not really winning any awards). But this morning, despite myself, I had a moment. A moment of such peace and serenity that I felt it necessary to step away from my normal "cup-half-empty" attitude just long enough to blog about it (don't worry, still as self-absorbed as ever). So please forgive me for this momentary lapse in, well, normal-ness.
As most of you know, Lucy has "graduated" to a big-girl bed. The transition has been fairly seamless minus one little hiccup...she can now get out of bed at will! Awesome! This has lead to some super-fun bedtime throw downs where a pile of Lucy's favorite "bed-things" end up in a heap on the floor outside her door. It's also led to a nasty little habit of Lucy wandering into our bedroom at 4:00am (when she knows our defenses are down and our resilience is weak) wanting to crawl into bed with "Mommmmmmyyyyyyy". This habit was quickly squelched with the simple addition of an alarm clock in her bedroom.
But this morning I heard little whimpering's and made the decision, despite my better judgment, to throw caution (and sleep training) to the wind and go get the little munchkin and bring her back into our bed. Now here it comes, what you've all been anxiously waiting for, that moment of peace and serenity. That syrupy goodness of my little bear sleeping sweetly next to me. Tucked neatly into a ball in my nook, with her chubby little arm around my neck, suckie in mouth, and her silkie clutched tightly in her other hand. Peace and Serenity! Fleeting but wonderful.
I may not win "Mother of the Year" and for the most part, I'm perfectly ok with that. But I'd like to think that in those moments when no one is looking, I just might be a winner in Lucy and Greta's eyes...and that is something I'm also perfectly ok with!

No comments:

Post a Comment